Saturday, March 28, 2009

Open Letter to AKMuckraker

Hey AKM,

I kept waking last night.  One after another dream turned ugly on me, and every time I woke and rolled over and groaned, I kept thinking about how perfectly awful this congressman had acted.  I know what he did can't be undone, and for that, I'll never forgive him no matter what else happens to him as a result.

I wish I could tell a story like you do, weaving in classical authors or just your own amazing imagination.  I think it might do us all good to hear about wicked ice witches or fuzzy brown moose getting tangled in swing sets.  Heck, I'd settle for a no-nonsense story about whales or imminent danger to oil storage tanks or a stark report about struggles in yet another remote Alaskan village.

In all that's happened over the last day or two, the worst part for me is feeling powerless to help you and all the rest of us, who blog and comment, in some concrete way.  If all it takes is one uncaring or vindictive or enchanted-by-GINO official to put the big kabosh on Mudflats, what does that portend for our future?

I've donated.  I've written letters and e-mails.  I've commented everywhere I could and blogged as best I can, but it doesn't feel like enough.  I'm a peace-loving person but I swear, I'm riled up beyond belief that someone has robbed you of your innocence, your relative anonymity, in a single malicious swipe.  The part that gets me most is, what that fool took from you never belonged to him and he can't return it even if he wanted to.

I've either got to let it all go and say "que sera sera" or I've got to dive into a class action lawsuit that makes it clear to this and any other crude Duggoon wanna-be that this crap won't be tolerated.  Fight or flight.  I haven't got all that many good years left, but I still have a fight in me.  Please let me and the rest of your devoted mudpuppies know how we can help right this egregious wrong.

There's surely a case to be made for 'turning the other cheek,' but doing so may be throwing away an unparalleled opportunity to make things better for the next AKMuckraker.

From my personal experience, you are a thoughtful, decent and wise person who manages to view even the worst situations with wit and good humor.  You are always respectful, and for that, you have my abiding respect.  You are always honest, and for that I salute you and respect you even more.  You are always welcoming, and there are no words to express how wonderful that has made me, and countless others, feel.


And with that, I'm going to try to get a little more sleep tonight.  I hope you can, too.

~May all beings be well and happy.~  Bhante
blog comments powered by Disqus