The Pittsburgh area folks have been planning and plotting and putting together a Mudstock to coincide with the conclusion of Netroots. A Mudstock is usually a brief gathering of mudpuppies, ordinarily consisting of sharing a delectable meal somewhere and possibly joining for some sightseeing to boot. A mudpuppy is simply someone who is an admirer of AK Muckraker, and by extension, the rest of the fantabulous, progressive Alaskan voices we turned to when Sarah Palin was thrust upon us as a candidate for ... Vice President of the United States of America. I still can't believe John McCain did that to us. Oh, the two iconic images that all mudpuppies respond to are a pair of yellow boots (duh, for walking through mud!) and a majestic moose, code-named Brian.
It is my great fortune to be near enough to Pittsburgh and able to travel to the upcoming Pittsburgh Mudstock! Can you tell I'm excited? I've been preparing for days.
- Ordered and received my very own figurine of a moose - check
- Dusted off and cleaned out travel bags - check
- Made a list of computer essentials to bring - check
- Installed IPhone apps that will let me tweet text and even images - check
- Got approved for a day off work - check
- Reserved a rental car since mine may or may not make it - check
- Reserved a hotel room - check
- Cooked and froze food so housemates wouldn't starve in my absence (guys... *eyeroll*) - check
- Charged up the battery on the camcorder - check
- Printed out driving directions and loaded destination maps - check
For anyone in the neighborhood, you can still RSVP until Friday night to join in the fun! Here's the forum thread with all the Pittsburgh Mudstock info. Just e-mail Hamlet's Mill and let him know you are coming!