The major hypocrisy with those who want the Government to step in and tell women they may not terminate a pregnancy (yes, the very same big bad get Government off our backs people promote this) is this:
- If they themselves (women of course) get pregnant and don't want to deliver, they have the means to discreetly get rid of the problem thanks to their financial resources, regardless of whatever law may be in place. That's the reason Roe v Wade still exists, actually. Do you really think these women want to be lawbreakers? No. They just want to reserve the privilege for themselves.
- These same people, male and female, almost universally support the death penalty. At what point in "life" does a human being cease to deserve preservation? Why does the pro-life crowd hunger for killing, especially when we know our justice system is imperfect and those convicted are not always guilty? Is it only the mass of cells inside a woman's uterus that is sacred? Not the mass of cells that walks down the street?
- They also are, almost universally, gung-ho for the Bush doctrine (listen up Sarah...), which basically asserted that we have a right to invade anywhere in the world we think someone may be thinking about doing bad things to Americans. Invasions mean killing. People dying. Children and other innocents with guts ripped out, dead. The numbers of innocents slain in Iraq since 2003 is staggering. The legacy of our phosphorus and our depleted uranium arms and armaments will continue to devastate the land and its peoples for many generations to come.
- They basically support the military-industrial complex which runs on OIL and creates jobs only in the weapons manufacturing industries. They also basically support guns and high-volume clips for automatic weapons, even though a hunter never needs this firepower, and even though our police chiefs fight against the overpowering weapons.
- They turn a blind eye to the horrendous civilian body counts that result from "war" and never have a thing to say about the tens of thousands of infants born with horrific deformities due to our use of illegal munitions.
People are certainly entitled to their opinions. But if what you voice out loud cannot be supported and sustained, due to the hypocrisy in the rest of your life, you basically lose. Make sure that by protesting of abortions you do not also inspire someone to gun down the medical professionals who provide this vital, legal service. Bill O'Reilly will forever be on my personal a-hole list for broadcasting, day after week, "Tiller the baby killer."
If you feel ultra-strongly about abortion, revisit how you feel about other kinds of involuntary life termination. I'd be a lot more likely to give you space if you also oppose the death penalty and wars of choice.