I'll be very surprised if it turns out that Dr. Bruce Ivins was the sole perpetrator of the anthrax letters. Here are a few reasons:
- Who benefited from the scare? Not Ivins.
- Who had a supportable motive? Not Ivins.
- Who had access to the equipment to produce the highly concentrated, 99% pure, military grade polyglass-coated spores (found in the Daschle and Leahy letters)? Not Ivins.
- Who had the know-how to produce this weaponized material? Not Ivins.
- Who can be placed at the scene where any of the hoax or real anthrax letters were mailed? Not Ivins.
The attempt to convict Ivins posthumously, in the press, is supported largely by an unsubstantiated report from a drug-addiction counselor (who had repeated convictions for DUI and was a home detention 'inmate' on the date Ivins' reportedly made threats in front of her group therapy session). She told the court in a peace order hearing that psychiatrists had diagnosed Ivins as a sociopathic revenge killer bent on homicide who had killed before. There is NO independent confirmation of this anywhere.
The FBI says, "Trust us, we got the right guy this time." I'm not buying it.
Cui bono?Those in the government who were pressing for military aggression in the Middle East. Those who wanted to elevate the fear level of Arabs in general, Muslims in particular. Those who profited from the sales of Cipro and other drugs to treat anthrax infection.
Who had a motive?See Cui bono.
Who had access to the highly specialized equipment?Those persons working to develop (probably not legally, either) bio weapons. That's not what USAMRIID did, where Bruce Ivins worked. His lab developed vaccines to prevent anthrax infection, and didn't even use powdered anthrax in his work -- his challenge bacteria was in liquid form, as was the now-infamous vial of RMR-1029.
Who had the know how?The same persons who had access to the equipment, the same persons who had been working for years on developing particularly nasty strains of bacillus anthracis for weapon use.
Who can be placed at the scenes of the mailings?We know Bruce Ivins can't. Hatfill came close. Until we see how the FBI eliminated their 'universe' of other persons who might have had access to the anthrax, we'll never know.
Important reading on this topic:
from Glenn Greenwald
- Vital unresolved anthrax questions and ABC News
- Journalists, their lying sources, and the anthrax investigation
- Additional key facts re: the anthrax investigation
- The FBI's emerging, leaking case against Ivins
- The FBI's selective release of documents in the anthrax case